Saturday, December 6, 2014

Saigon, Salons, Salsa and Sincere Smiles

I stepped out of my car and said, "Lord, I don't want to talk to anyone or be talked to by anyone. I just want to get my nails done as quickly as possible and leave, and please let Anna be in a quiet, mood today. Actually, Lord, it would be great if no one even looked at me." Anna is a beautiful, sanguine, perky, petite, sixty-something nail technician from Saigon. She loves to talk, and I usually accommodate even though I would prefer to sit quietly as she performs her magic on my nails.  I was expecting a sympathetic reply from my Father of "Okay Lisa. It's been tough on you, lately. We'll handle this." No such luck. Instead, He reminded me, "Lisa, this is not your show. You enlisted in a different army a long time ago, and I'm going to need you at your post." Great! Just great! God is kind of like that. He never lets us give less than our best.

As I entered the salon, I quickly realized I was the only customer. Again...just great! Anna's husband stepped inside from the back door. He was wearing a brown corduroy jacket--slightly too big for him. His slightly too long salt and pepper colored hair extended from his black toboggan and his tender eyes peered over his glasses that rested on the bridge of his nose. He is a quiet soul, but his sweet face says much. He nodded to me and shuffled toward Anna to hand her the items she would need to help me.

Anna began chattering immediately. I often don't understand much of what she says, so it is with great effort that I have to try and listen. This is quite a task for an ADHD girl who also noticed that they were playing a movie starring Tom Selleck on their very visible T.V. Yes, this would be an extra challenge tonight. 

Anna began questioning why she hadn't seen me in so long. She began fussing over my very cropped nails. She began inquiring about my holiday plans. Ugghhh! I didn't have the stamina for small talk, so I just told her the truth. I said this would be the first year without my dad, and I missed him a lot. At that, my chatty, motherly friend stopped. She was sitting at my feet. She said, "Lisa, I know. I share with you. I understand." She began to tell me how she had lost her son when he was only thirty years old. She explained that he died in Saigon, but that she couldn't afford to go home and pay her last respects. She explained that her mother had been furious with her for this lack of respect and honor toward the son. She also explained that her mother had died only a few weeks following her son. As she talked I saw her cute, tiny nose turn pink and her beautiful almond shaped eyes fill with tears. As she talked she stroked my feet and gently rubbed my legs. A tear or two rolled down my face as I felt her pain. I had never known that Anna had experienced such grief. She is such a happy soul. She smiles with all she is, and this makes her so beautiful to me. This makes her seem so young to me.

I understood in that moment that the gift of my time to Anna was also God's gift of healing to me. As the time passed, Anna true to form chatted away and enjoyed being able to converse with an "active listener" (even if the listener sometimes had to fake it). Anna always shares some "American" favorite recipe with me each time I am there. I don't know why, and she never shares Asia ones--when I am there. I often wish she would share authentic Asian recipes. Maybe she thinks I would like the others better. Today, she wanted to tell me how to make a simple salsa. "Lisa, this easy...you try....you work hard...you clean house...you care for family...this recipe easy...You family like". I smiled. My heart swelled with love for this little woman. As I opened up and allowed her to share, I discovered that she also speaks French! Who knew?! She learned it in school as a little girl. She spoke French to me as she worked. It was beautiful. Her accent was amazing! I understood more of her French than her English. She educated me on the difference between Spanish spoken in Spain (where I have had the pleasure to visit) and Spanish spoken in Mexico (where I have also been blessed to visit). All the while she commented on my feet. "Lisa, you wear heels again for winter! I see! Look here! You must be careful. See how much better I make it. Lisa, where you get this mark. Something bite you? Look you bruise. How? You sure you like this (nail) color? You sure? I change for you."

When it was finally time to leave, I paid; but then I said, "Anna, will you wax my eyebrows?" I usually do my own, but I could tell this would be a treat for her. She said, "Yes. I be happy to. Sit. You sit." She applied hot wax, pulled, tweezed, plucked; and at last, we were done! I said goodbye and stood to leave. As I stepped away, Anna said, "No. Lisa. You wait." She hurried to the back of the salon. I thought, "Great! She is going to get a hand-held mirror so I can inspect her work. Honestly, it's okay, Anna. I trust you." When she returned, I was wrong again. Anna held out a little box of candles. She said, "Happy birthday, Lisa, and Merry Christmas!" I was stunned. I quickly grabbed her tiny little shoulders in my arms and hugged her. Wow! Just when we think we have given so much, God reminds us that we can never out give Him! Thank you my sweet, little, beautiful Anna in your tiny, black sock feet, tonight! What a precious gift you were to me! I love my purple candles, but not nearly as much as I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment