Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Save Image As...

Dear Image,
So, it is almost your birthday my crazy Image girl! You will be eleven on January 11, 2015...your Golden Birthday (11 on the 11th). We have had quite a few Golden birthdays in the last 6 months--both of my children and now you, my fur-baby.

Most know your story: "The Two Year old (almost 3) Show Dog that I 'saved'". I have owned many dogs and loved them all. With most of them it was easy: purebred, mutts, whatchamacallits, lap dogs...Loving dogs has come easy for me. You, however, my girl have been a challenge. Finally in your 3rd and your forever home, I have loved you more than the others who owned you and have loved you longest. I also know you love me more than anything in the world, though how you convey it is most unique. You're not even able to bear being in a separate room from me without your loud (quite annoying, I might add) crying. We've been together for 8 1/2 years. I've been committed to you and cared for you with all I am, though it has been an act of will and choice and not an easy act of my heart some days as it is with my other dogs. Your intelligent nature requires that I frequently prove that I am the alpha. You make me earn your respect in a way that is often irritating, though, I do choose to love you. I recall the quote from Lady Guinevere to King Arthur in "The First Knight" when she says "Love has many faces. I may look on you differently, but not with less love." She goes on to say that King Arthur is loved by an act of her will which is stronger than her heart. Being a person who feels things deeply--a heart person--but also a strong-willed person, I loved and hated this quote all at once. I understand it better now in having loved you, Image, for almost a decade.

Loving Windsor, Tiffany, Meechie, Jamie, Butch, Cookie, Princess, Sugar, Tiger, Star, etc., etc., was simple. They stole my heart again and again. They wanted to please me. They quickly obeyed, but then again they were not Show Dogs and maybe not quite as acute as you. You , my girl, are willful and constantly make me to you prove that you will do what I say. Yet, there are moments that I do so enjoy you--like when you snuggle next to me or prance around like a deer in such a jovial manner. These moment do capture my heart. I love how you will lay in a big orange and white roan ball at the foot of the tub until I am done or in the floor by my bed when I nap. I love how you press your forehead against my shoulder when you want a hug, and I love how you bare your teeth when I ask you to smile.

When your previous owners bought you because they thought they could make you, mold you into a show dog--a prize--- little did they know the job that was cut out for them. Oh yes, even now I gaze upon your many ribbons and certificates where you won show after show, but it came at a higher price than some of their other dogs required. This I do know, because I know you...and I know them! 

Traveling all the way from Kalamazoo, Michigan to Dallas, North Carolina, I will never forget the first time I saw you. I first met a member of your pack--a Blue Roan English Cocker Spaniel. I saw him in Lowe's Hardware and thought he was majestic enough to inquire about him from his trainer. One thing after another and I met you...the Orange and White Roan. I wanted the blue, but then I saw your sweet, sad face. I didn't feel they loved you or were as proud of you as they should be...so I bought you (Yes! BOUGHT you...at a hefty price, too), and I brought you home to love you. And yes! You have made me prove it over and over again; but Image, I am most proud of my love for you. I am most proud that we stuck it out, and that I didn't quit on you like the others. I know you have been most happy in my home.

Your life expectancy is 11-12 years, though I think you could make it to fifteen. I never thought I would lose my precious Windsor before you, my tough ol' girl. Yet, here you are as willlful as ever. As I was about to save a picture of you for this blog, I received the message "Save Image as..." I laughed. Oh, how sometimes I would like to save you as something else! But then, I would have missed the life lessons I have learned from you...for you are often like me. You are willful when you should listen. You think you know more than me, but you don't. You want your way, when mine is best for you. I think I"ll "save" Image again and again if need be...and I'll think I'll save her as the Image she is! I do love you Image Ol' Girl!



















Happy Almost Birthday My Orange Roan Lassie!

No comments:

Post a Comment