Monday, December 22, 2014

There's Been a Change of Plans

There's Been a Change of Plans...This was the title of yesterday's message. Every word and every moment spoke to my heart on so many levels. Pastor Furtick said, "And there's someone out there who has buried a dream. You've stopped believing "it" is possible, but I'm here to tell you, ALL things are possible through Him!" Something just exploded in the deepest part of who I am. That was me!

For someone who is a conclusive planner, this has been a bit challenging. Just the words, "There's been a change of plans" makes my stomache hurt. Yet, plans do change. Pastor Furtick said, that God always has plan, but He frequently doesn't share His plan with us because we would mess it up or worse yet trust the "plan" more than the God who made it.

The past four years have been a roller coaster of changed plans. James and I had planned to adopt a third child. Plans changed. My daughter became my niece. My heart still doesn't understand, but plans change. Sometimes it takes awhile for your heart to catch up with this. Mine still hasn't, even though my mind has long since made the leap. She is a beautiful five year old who often comments on how much her Uncle Jamie loves her. Her indeed was the first to rescue her.

We planned for Tyler to go away to college. This was his dream too. Yet weeks from graduation we began dealing with horrifying seizures. All is well now, and his doctors are amazed at how strong he is (He really is...It's doggone amazing! And what I attribute to a merciful God). Then before we could come up for air, we found out he was to be a father. I discovered this on a Saturday night. I was the last to know. Tyler loves his mama so much and was afraid of breaking my heart. It didn't break my heart, but it did fracture my will a bit. The next day, I couldn't even get out of bed. My family left for church. I went for a ride across a beautiful bridge in High Shoals. What I saw, much to my astonishment, was a white dove perched on the ledge of the bridge. I took a picture of it, and heard God say, "Lisa, peace be still. I will take care of this. You can't control one part of it. You're going to have to trust me."

Trusting Him has been my life's constant, and He has NEVER failed me. Plans change. As I sit on the floor beside my bed at this 3:00 a.m. hour wrapped in my favorite blue bathrobe and listening to Carter breathe in the bed above me, I am so thankful for changed plans. Hearing him call, "Nina, Nina" in the middle of the night as he wraps his tiny arms around my neck is the sweetest feeling in the world. At that moment I am shocked at love that spills from my heart. There is so much love that my heart can't contain it! It often flows from my cheeks! Plans change.

I had not planned for my Daddy to not be here this Christmas. I had not planned for it to hurt so much. It angers me that I my heart won't catch up with my brain on this one. It infuriates me that I can't seem to control the hurt that seems to sneak up on me at unexpected moments. I miss the sound of his voice. I miss his numerous calls throughout the day just to say he loves me. I miss his strong hands holding mine. I miss him letting me cry into his shoulder even as a forty-something year old woman and how he could always fix his little girl. I miss hearing him sing. I miss how infectious his laughter was...and how corny his jokes were. I miss how he was never pressed or stressed and how that caused me to relax. Plans change. Life moves forward.

"Dreams can still be had. Dreams can still come to fruition." I heard Pastor say this yesterday. Plans change, but if they didn't we would miss out on some wonderful things. Yes. When plans change things can be inconvenient, messy and painful, but they often give birth to such wonderful things as the baby Jesus. Plans changed for Mary. She wasn't finished completing her wedding registry when the angel appeared and said, "Surprise! Change of plans! You'll also need a baby registry!" Bless! How frightening! How inconvenient! How out of control! Yet how wonderful the eternal effects!

I love Jeremiah 29:11! God knows the plans He has for us...even when they change. He knows THE PLAN. We know THE PROMISE and it is SO good! It is for a future and a hope...it is for realized dreams! With that said, I think I can actually and tangibly dream now. So with that I will head back to bed beside my sweet little boy and say Good Nite!

Jeremiah 29:11The Message (MSG) 10-11 This is God’s Word on the subject: “As soon as Babylon’s seventy years are up and not a day before, I’ll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home. I know what I’m doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for.


Hi Handsome!! Oh you have stolen my heart, my sweet prince!

I absolutely without reservation fell head over heels in love at this moment! I love this picture for this reason! I wiped tears and tried to clear my face before this pic was taken...my heart was glowing!

My sweet daddy! His poor bruised hands! Love those hands!

Tyler's graduation...who knew...Buckle up! Life, here we come!

I could eat him!!! OOOUUU!! Yummy!

My happy, happy boy!!

Another sweet change of plans! He has Angelman's Syndrome. I LOVE him! Hugs Jim!

My beautiful niece only days after we brought her home!


No comments:

Post a Comment