Sunday, July 6, 2014

Powder Rooms, Coloring Outside of the Lines and Pasta

Maybe it's because I have been six weeks without a proper kitchen, all starting the day after I buried my precious dad (and my hero)...maybe it's because the heat index has been 104 degrees here some days...maybe it's because we work 40 hour days (really 44) in four days that has thrown me askew, but I have seriously been contemplating the concept of coloring outside the lines and the concept of "play" and enjoying the moment we are in(this concept was newly inflamed after a recent conference).

My colleagues and I were fortuante enough to visit Atlanta and go to the ISTE convention. It was awesome and informative. I gained a lot of insight, which I hope to process, store and share later. It was during this visit that I noticed some unique situations. There were homeless people by the droves. Some were friendly and conversational. Others merely wanted money to purchase whatever was their most pressing need at the moment. This sets ones mind to thinking about rules, absolute truths, one's responsibility to society and what is expected behavior in various situations (this mindset is especially true for a Preacher's Kid like me).
The crazy things is, I noticed a lot of situations that were abnormal. illogical and a type "coloring outside of the lines", so to speak. As my buddies and I visited one establishment after our conference, in order to grab some dessert, a drink and have a chat, I needed to visit the powder room. It was quite an unusual powder room. There were three locks on the door and the entire wall in front of the toilet was a mirror. Really? This was completely unnecessary and unorthodox. Who wants a mirror in front of the John? This got me thinking of rules and traditional architecture, what is practical, and what is not (yep....I took more than one class on interior decorating in college and didn't do too badly either). Who would intentionally design this bathroom this way? Why? Three working locks? Really? Was this artistic expression or clumsiness?

Upon returning home, I was alone for a couple of days while waiting on my family to return from their vacation. This is not a problem for me. I love being with people who enjoy being with me, but I am equally happy to be alone. I have come love me...I actually like me too...and Lord, knows that's been a long time coming. So, I decided to check some things off my solo bucket list. I vistied a zoo that I have wanted to go to for some time ( and might I add, it was more than I expected. I loved it!). I also visited a cafe that I have wanted to go to. Shockingly, at lunch time, I was the youngest person there (even counting the employees). There were at least 40 customers, and I completely savored the atmosphere. I relished hearing the older generation talk about what was important to them (house repairs, children not visitng regularly, which dessert was the best on the menu). It was there that I needed to visit the powder room again. When I entered, I should have noticed something peculiar, but my mind was somewhere else. It took me a minute to realize that there were two toilets side-by-side in a single occupancy bathroom with no partition between the two. Hum? Maybe you bring your child to the Ladies Room with you? Really? I can't imagine anyone else being in the room with you, so maybe you get to choose? Left? or Right? LOL! This was amusing!!! Again, I began to think. How unorthodox? How bizarre? How little caution one gave to following the rules or doing what is traditionally acceptable.

I guess I am at that season in my life where I am ready to not color inside the lines. I am ready to not just do what is expected. Maybe eating high carb pasta in spite of a low carb cultural craze is on the menu. Maybe I'll get a tattoo of an elephant on my ankle. Maybe I'll make a child-like tent and sleep on the floor. Maybe I'll paint my nails neon pink (Wait! I already did that). Whatever the case, I am ready to savor the moments, do something just because, spend time with my family and say forget the rules for just one day! I am ready to just be in the moment with no thoughts of rules or concern for what people think. I am ready to color outside of the lines just because I can. Anybody have some crayons?

“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.”  Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment