Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Beauty and the Beast Without

It was my funny, witty, very beautiful friend Gladys Setzer, who has a way of ushering a contagious sense of joy into every strenuous workout, that challenged me to post pictures of times when I felt beautiful. Now you don't do that to someone with the soul of a writer...even a very novice soul. This person will reflect upon, meditate about and even dissect the entire notion of beauty before it's all said and done. Of course, this is what I did, and now I MUST blog about it as a way to record my reflections.

Beauty? As we are often told, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. How true. Beauty, according to a quick Google search, said it is "a combination of qualities, such as shape, color or form that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially sight." This sounds about right; but what makes up this combination of qualities that prove aesthetically pleasing from one person to the next is often up for debate and always a matter of opinion.

When thinking of "beauty" I am filled with mixed emotions. There are thoughts of gorgeous landscapes such as the remembrance of the vivacious coastal waters, the expanse and formidableness of a mountain view , a tranquil forest that overtakes your being. I recall beautiful moments: the first time I looked upon my childrens' faces, the way a puppy's breath smells as it eagerly licks your cheek, the way a small child's hand feels nestled safely inside of your own or how a parent's hand feels as it strokes your face as you are fighting off a fever. I even recall the look of love upon my mother's face as she stood over my father's grave saying one last goodbye. The love on her face was astounding and so beautiful. These are beautiful to me and make me feel beautiful. These memories alone produce a tangible beauty for me as the remembrance of the exquisiteness of the moment overtakes me. So what makes us beautiful?

Is beauty a number on the scales? (Lord, I hope not!) Is it coordinating the right accessories with the right outfit? Is it a set of bodily measurements? Could it be simply the way one talks or carries oneself across the room? Is beauty the right hair style or the right fashion statement? Is beauty a list of accomplishments by your name or even the impressiveness of ones bank account? It often breaks my
heart to see how America prioritizes the frivolous and the superficial. I am angered by the way our young girls and boys are made to feel inferior because they don't fit Hollywood's image of beautiful (which is actually unrealistic and often far from natural...or even unhealthy in some cases). This crazy notion is a beast that we often must wrestle against as it lies to us about beauty and value.

So, as I reflect upon beauty, tonight, I reflect upon Gladys. She doesn't think she's beautiful when she is sweating and panting from a painful workout, but she is! Her blue eyes twinkle as the sun hits them at just the right Saturday morning angle, creating a kaleidoscope effect that is mesmerizing. The grimace on her face (and ours) as we set our face like a flint to complete one more painful repetition, is so beautiful. There is nothing more appealing than the expression of sheer determination. The words that our coaches use to inspire us to go one more lap and the way each of us fights for one more win...is so beautiful.

At last, tonight, I reflect on beauty. There is something so freeing for a woman in her forties where beauty is concerned. We finally reach a self love and appreciation that is secure and not hinged upon another's estimation. I've heard those middle-aged ladies before me mention this, and now I can attest to its truth. Am I beautiful? You better bet your tail I am! Do I always feel it? No. Not when I look at superficial standards, but in the moments when I listen to the truth...I can see that I am breath-taking and fearfully and wonderfully made, and so are you! So, here you go Gladys! Thank you so much for the challenge. Thanks for making me reflect (my favorite thing to do). Thanks for giving me a reason to write, tonight...and thanks for allowing your own beauty to shine through! You are beautiful inside and out!

















No comments:

Post a Comment