Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

My brother and I were the only babies born that night in the Pasquotank area hospital at the Outer Banks of North Carolina. In such a small town, everyone knew when a baby was born...but being twins made us all the more special! For years to come, strangers would greet my mom, my brother and me in the grocery store and say, "Ohhhh....that's our twins!" This was lovely! I enjoyed being born in a small town where everyone knew everyone else and where strangers were still family.

My charismatic, charming insurance salesman of a dad soon decided that he was called to be a pastor. We left our little, quaint Outer Banks community and spent several years roaming from church to church from one end of our beautiful southern state to the other. I went from being one of "Our Twins" to "The New Girl" over night. I hated this more than anything. 

When my brother and I became adolescents, my parents decided to once again establish some roots. Afterall, the instability of raising two teenagers was enough of a roller coaster ride for my parents, and I believe God completely understood. He may have even found some humor in it all. It was during this season that we established deep roots in the western side of Gaston County. I was no longer the new girl! Yay!

I loved my new community so much that I completed my education there and became an educator in this same community. I loved it so much that I served there for close to two decades. I enjoyed going to the grocery store and seeing my students and their families. I loved having parents come up to me at community ball games and tell me they were requesting that their child be in my class the next year. I relished visiting the local churches to see my students perform in some play or special program of one sort or another. Everybody knew my name, and I knew theirs! I never wanted to leave my home again and had no plans of becoming "The New Girl" again.

Well, life is funny, and I've found that we can never say never. This year, I was "The New Girl" again. I was assigned to work in the Belmont area. It was like saying I would be working in Egypt. I knew nothing of Belmont except for my brief time at Belmont Abbey College where I obtained my undergraduate degree; and Lord knows I had my face buried in books the whole time then to maintain my 4.0 average. So, I knew little of the Belmont Community. I was quite nervous about the change.

I began getting to know the people I would serve, making myself available over and above what was required and generally being "The New Girl" who was trying to find her place. These past few months have taught me that those "New Girl" skills which I painfully acquired have been quite the blessing. I also found out that I ADORE my east side new family! They are so dear to me!

It was the past few days that I realized I am no longer "The New Girl". The revelation was precious, priceless and a bit emotional for me. As I was frantically making my way down the walkway of my high school to assist a teacher who needed me, I passed by a group of ROTC boys who were doing their routine drill and practice. I was trying to ease past them so as not to disturb their intense routine. It was in this moment that I heard, "Hey there Mrs. Montgomery! How are you, today?" A bit stunned I turned to see one of those sweet ROTC students calling to me. He knew my name! Then earlier today, I was walking to a classroom at one of my middle schools. I saw a small group of students socializing in between classes. I passed the group and one of the boys very sweetly--yet casually---said, "Hey Mrs. Montgomery." I turned to look at him and am still not 100% sure I know where to place him, but he knew my name. So, I hope that means when I taught in his class I showed him in that brief moment that he was valuable and that I cared. This is my commitment whether I serve on the east, west or anywhere in between.

I'm not "The New Girl" anymore! Yay me! Yay to the little Lisa inside of me who learned some valuable skills long ago. Yay to the more mature Lisa who was willing to adopt to another change in life! I am happy to retire this title for now, but I never say never. Who knows when I may get to wear that hat again and this time with all the more confidence.












No comments:

Post a Comment