Thursday, August 21, 2014

You Have Naming Rights

This past Sunday, Pastor Steve ended his sermon series "Death to Selfie". It was bitter-sweet to have such an awesome series end, but I am equally excited about the upcoming one. The final message was "You Have Naming Rights". As an Assembly of God's preacher's kid, I am familiar with this concept, and I believe it to my core; however, sometimes we all need reminding.

In ancient Israel, Fathers had the right to name their children. They could even supercede a name given by the mother as we see when Rachel named Benjamin (son of my strength or son of my right hand of blessing) as Ben-oni (son of my sorrow)--Genesis 35:18. We do not know how much time past between Rachel's naming her son such a sad name and Jacob's overriding that name with that of a glorious one, yet we know it happened. Rachel, who died during childbirth to her beloved much wanted son, Benjamin, was naming her situation as it was. God gives us naming rights. We can call a situation as we see it with our natural eyes or we can call it as we would like it to be. Romans 4:17 we can call dead things, dormat things, non-existant things into being "As it is written, "I have made you the father of many nations." Abraham acted in faith when he stood in the presence of God, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence things that don't yet exist." We are often tempted to define our moments by our sorrow. Life loves to label itself by something we've lost, but Benjamin knew out of sorrow is birthed strength!

Show me man who is strong, and I will show you the same man who was weak. Show me a man who loves deeply, and I will show you that same man who was unloved. Show me a broken place, and I will show you a rebirth in that same place! Oh yes, we have naming rights! And yes! Jacob knew that that boy which cost him the love of his life (for Rachel is the only one we ever hear him declaring his love for), was going to be his greatest blessing! We understand fully that at any given moment in our life something is being birthed while something else is dying. Change is inevitable. We cannot determine all the circumstances that touch our lives, but we do have full authority to call them what we will! We can call them a blessing and watch that blessing unfold or we can call them as we see them! The world would say the latter is more noble. No pretense, no frills...and actually no investment...just call it as you see it. Unfortunately, our scope is limited! So, I'll call it as God sees it every time! I will choose to speak life instead of death! For God has a way of selecting and transforming what the world rejects! He assures us that that which we cannot see is more real than that which is in our face everyday! 2 Corinthians 4:18 "So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

When Jacob buried Rachel and refused to allow life to define that moment as a moment of loss, he entered the situation as one weak fallible man, but he exited it the Father of nations...my father! Genesis 35: 20 Over her tomb JACOB set up a pillar, and to this day that pillar marks Rachel's tomb. 21 ISRAEL MOVED ON AGAIN and pitched his tent beyond Migdal Eder. He entered as Jacob the trickster, the one who wasn't enough in his own right! He exited as Israel (the one who prevails with God)! Yes, we have naming rights! Hallelujah!

Three months ago, I could not have guessed that I would have lost my father and my hero, my best bud colleague, my kitchen and my gallbladder, as well as, having to venture through some other hurtful personal situations; but God knew! I could name these situations as they make me feel, but I am choosing to call them a blessing. I am enjoying watching God make this Jacob into an Israel! I am relishing the stirring in my spirit about what is most important. I am seeing things die, but I am seeing things born anew! Sometimes the call to follow Christ is great. The cost to be used comes in our payment of being broken. The cost to love deeply is to risk being hurt. To allow a needy world to smell His sweet fragrance, the petals of the flower must be bruised and torn. The payoff, though, is well worth it!

Yes! We have naming rights! Call this situation in your life as God calls it and see what might things he does!




No comments:

Post a Comment